Step 1 | Log in to eHire
Step 2 | Select Submit a New Hire Request from the navigation menu on the left. You may need to hover over the left side of the browser window to "un-hide" the menu.
Step 3 | Enter Department information as required on the form.
- Click to save data and return to Dashboard.
- Click to return to Dashboard.
- The progress bar on the top informs you where you are in the form process.
- Enter the Backup Contact name and email address 1) to identify the backup person to answer questions in your absence, or 2) to keep additional person in the loop on the status of the hire request you submit. All email correspondence, including a copy of the Agreement Letter, will be copied to the Backup Contact person.
Step 3 | Enter Proposed Hire information as required on the form.
- For current UC faculty, lecturer, students and employees, UCPath Employee ID and/or Student ID is a required field. If a returning summer-only lecturer has not been teaching since the campus' conversion to UCPath, meaning they do not have a UCPath Employee ID but only the legacy Employee ID, please use all 9's (99999999) in the Employee ID field.
- For lecturers subject to search requirement (do not meet the exemption criteria), documentation to show that the search was completed or the hire was approved must be provided during or at the end of the request form submission process. A copy of the search/hire approval can be uploaded to the designated Google Folder. Please ensure to include the department name and proposed hire name in the file name so that it can be easily connected to the hire request (e.g. MCELLBI-JSmith.PDF). You may also use the eHire Request ID generated after the request is submitted as the file name.
- Visiting international instructors must have a valid visa status for the duration of the summer appointment. If their visa status is valid at the time of the request but is to expire before the summer teaching ends, please ensure that their visa is extended before their teaching begins.
Step 4 | Enter Summer Course and Compensation information as required on the form.
- Click on the drop-down menu to see the list of available courses.
- Click on the same drop-down menu again to add additional course(s) to the hire request.
- You can delete a selected course by clicking "x" next to the name as shown below.
- If you have any questions about how to set compensation, please refer to the appropriate sections on this website for Faculty/Lecturer, Visiting Faculty/Lecturer, GSI-AI, GSI, Hourly.
- For instructor hires, you can use either FTE/Annual combination or BYA amount to submit the proposed compensation amount. If you use the FTE field, BYA field will be greyed out, as they cannot be used together. Similarly, if you use the BYA field, FTE and Annual fields will be greyed out. If you for example used BYA field but need to change it to FTE/Annual combination, simply delete the data in BYA field to make FTE/Annual fields editable.
- For hourly hires, no compensation amount will be calculated on the request form. The final compensation amount will be determined by the number of hours submitted via CalTime.
- If you are hiring an instructor without salary, please use BYA field to enter "0," and note in the Comments section, "WOS."
Step 5 | Enter any Comments for Summer Sessions or for Berkeley Regional Services. This is not a required action for form submission.
Step 6 | Review the information entered and Edit as necessary by using the button for each section of the request form.